ESA 95 Supply, Use and Input-Output tables
----Supply, use and input-output tables are now available for the reference year 2008 in the new activities claissifcation NACE Rev 2. ----
Supply, use and input-output tables provide detailed information for a given year on production activities, the supply and demand of goods and services, intermediate consumption, primary inputs and foreign trade.
- Supply and use tables are matrices by product and industry showing the production processes and transactions for particular products or industries.
- Symmetric input-output tables are product-by-product or industry-by-industry matrices combining both supply and use into a single table with identical classification of products or industries, applied to both rows and columns.
The European System of Accounts (ESA95) has established a compulsory transmission of tables by the European Member States which are:
- Annual supply and use tables
- Five-yearly symmetric input-output tables
- Five-yearly symmetric input-output tables of domestic production
- Five-yearly symmetric input-output tables of imports
The legal requirement is valid from the end of the year 2002. The tables cover mostly the period since 1995.
Some Acceding and Candidate Countries also voluntarily provide these tables.
Since October 2012 the reference year 2008 data is available for the consolidated tables (Euro area and European Union levels) with a breakdown of 64 activities/products or 10 activities/products. The data is presented now in NACE Rev 2., the new activities classification.
In 2011 consolidated tables for the European Union and the euro area were disseminated in Nace rev 1.1 for the years 2000 to 2007.
The tables available are:
- Annual supply and use tables at basic prices;
- Annual symmetric input-output tables (product by product) with the split domestic output and imports.
These tables show among other things:
- The structure of the costs of production and the value added, which is generated in the production process
- The inter-dependencies of industries
- The flows of goods and services produced within the national economy
- The flows of goods and services with the rest of the world
Supply, use and input-output tables are available in national currency (NAC) and for non-EMU Member States now also in euro/ECU.
The tables are harmonised by Eurostat’s standardised questionnaire, which distinguishes 64 products (classification CPA2008) and 64 industries (NACE rev 2. A64) for the data of 2008.