Since 2003, Statistics Iceland has applied a policy of basing the dissemination on the web. All statistical releases, updates, news and publications are published on the Statistics Iceland website where they can be freely accessed, printed or downloaded. All material published online is free of charge. Data are published at 9.00 AM according to the Advance release calendar. The release calendar for the upcoming year is published in October each year.
Forms of dissemination
- Publications: Since 2004 the majority of printed publications have been published under the Statistical Series. The Statistical Yearbook of Iceland and the booklet Iceland in figures are also published on the website
- News: press releases for the last three years are accessible on the web by time and category. Around 180 press releases are published yearly in Icelandic and around 120 in English
- Statistics: Categorised web tables. The web data base contains some 1,000 tables in both Icelandic and English.
Statistics Iceland launched its first website in the early days of the web in 1996 but the present structure of the website was launched in 2003. Continuous improvements are being made to the website, involving both the content of the website (with special emphasis on the amount of material available in English) and the ease of access.
In order to enhance quality and assure the relevance of its statistics and services Statistics Iceland now operates on a permanent basis two advisory committees and two user groups which provide an important input and feedback regarding user needs and priority setting. The groups are:
- Advisory committee on the consumer price index
- Advisory committee on labour market statistics
- User group on national accounts
- User group on price statistics
Metadata is available on the web in a standardised format in Icelandic and English for most of the data published.