The Eurostat dissemination database is regularly updated with the most recent data on the generation and treatment of waste. It provides statistics collected under the Waste Statistics Regulation as well as data collected for key waste streams under thematic reporting obligations on waste.
Information about database updates can be found on the News page. Data is usually available for the 28 European Union Member States and Turkey and Norway.
To access the data please click on the following icon in the data tree below .
Explanatory texts (metadata) can also be accessed by clicking on this data tree .
If you need more instructions on how to use the data explorer (making and completing an extraction), please use the following link to: Demo tours.
If required, the complete statistical database is accessible by clicking on the following icon .
Explanations for some of the datasets:
Waste generation and waste treatment (env_wasgt)
The Waste Statistics Regulation was revised between the reference years 2008 and 2010.
The revision includes changes of waste categories (WASTE) and of waste treatment categories (WST_OPER). Some of these changes cause breaks in time series that have to be considered when downloading data for different reference years.
Table “Generation of waste (env_wasgen)”:
- A consistent time series from 2004 to 2010 is available only at the level of aggregates labelled as ‚sub-totals‘. To download the time series for all waste generated please select the six waste categories labelled as ‚sub-totals‘ plus the waste category ‚Common sludges (W11)‘. These waste codes are pre-selected in the table env_wasgen.
- To download data for 2010 onwards at detailed level please select all waste codes in the list from W011 to W128_13, except the categories labelled as sub-totals.
- To download data from 2004 to 2008 at detailed level please select the waste codes that are listed in the sheet "GEN 2004-2008" of the Excel-file "WStatR in Eurobase.xlsx".
Table “Treatment of waste (env_wastrt)”:
- To download data for 2010 onwards at detailed level please select all waste codes from W011 to W128_13 except the categories labelled as sub-totals.
- To download data from 2004 to 2008 at detailed level please select the waste codes that are listed in the sheet "TRT 2004-2008" of the Excel-file "WStatR in Eurobase.xlsx".
Waste streams (env_wasst)
- The table "Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) (env_waselee)" presents all data collected on WEEE (WEEE collected and treated, EEE placed on the market).
- Please note that the recovery and recycling rates (%) of WEEE measure the "Treatment Efficiency". This is the ratio between the recovered / and recycled and re-used amounts versus the total amount treated.