From Statistics Explained
Tourism means the activity of visitors taking a trip to a main destination outside their usual environment, for less than a year, for any main purpose, including business, leisure or other personal purpose, other than to be employed by a resident entity in the place visited.
Three types can be distinguished, according to the origin and destination of visitors:
- domestic tourism means visits within a country by visitors who are residents of that country.
- inbound tourism means visits to a country by visitors who are not residents of that country.
- outbound tourism means visits by residents of a country outside that country.
- national tourism means domestic and outbound tourism.
- internal tourism means domestic and inbound tourism.
- international tourism means inbound and outbound tourism.